Monday 14 April 2008

Busted!

You have probably noticed by now that this blog is anonymous. Shocking as it may seem, my real name is not Potty, or indeed at all related to loos, kookiness, or anything else included in the dictionary definition shown on the side-bar. (OK, well, occassionally I might do something silly - but that's still not my name...)

It's anonymous not because I have anything particularly earth-shattering to write about, or scandalous, or secret. No, it's anonymous purely for the selfish reason that I want to write what I want, about whom I want, when I want, without fear of upsetting anyone and also - if I'm honest - without worrying about what any of my nearest and dearest think of my blogging style. It's taken me a little while to find it, and I'm happy(ish) with it . And if I feel that I'm looking over my shoulder all the time, then the words won't flow so easily.

Clearly, I'm not writing high-brow literature here. Nor, even, anything worth publishing. But I like blogging, it makes me feel as if I'm achieving something other than wiping bottoms and clearing up snot, so I don't want to feel stifled in any way.

This is why I haven't given the address of this blog to anyone other than a couple of girlfriends who I rarely get to see for logistical reasons. Not even Husband has the details. And if I'm not giving the details to Husband, I'm surely not planning on giving them to anyone else.

But he has them now - because this morning, I gave them to him.

Yes, I was busted this weekend - and it was completely my own fault.

I mentioned to friends that I wrote a blog, and that I enjoyed it. When they asked for the details I explained that since Husband didn't have them I wouldn't be comfortable for them to, and thought that was that.

How naive can a person be? Google can find anything if you key in the right words - and it found me.

Of course, I knew this day would come - eventually. But you know what? I thought I would care more. And I must admit that when I spotted their visit via Sitemeter, my pulse did race a little. But then I took a look back through my own posts, and actually, I really don't mind. In a way, it's quite liberating not to have to worry whether Husband has or hasn't bothered to find the details.

In fact, Mariel, if you're reading this now; thankyou, you did me a favour. I'm relieved it's finally out there... (but am still planning on keeping our parents in the dark. What? Surely you don't think I'm completely potty?)


And now, an excerpt from an early morning conversation with my beautiful Boys. Standing in the kitchen, knocking back my daily quota of vitamins, EFA's, organic tinctures and so-on (I swear, you can hear me rattle when I walk to the breakfast table), I suddenly became aware of two pairs of eyes watching me solemnly from the doorway.

Boy #1: "What are you doing, Mama?"

Me (thinking, I don't want them climbing up here on a chair to help themselves when my back is turned, so better not make it sound too attractive - and isn't it amazing the safety filters automatically installed in mother's brains?): "Oh, I'm just taking some tablets and stuff. To make me feel better."

Boy #1: "Why? Are you sick?"

Me: "No, no. It's just something that grown-up ladies do..."

Boy #1 (in apparent astonishment): "Are you a grown up?"

Me: I certainly hope so.

Boy #1(in even more astonishment): And are you a lady?


Good question...

19 comments:

  1. Busted in more ways than one I think!

    Girl - if you can't say it on a blog - than what? Do you have to write it out with onion ink on rice paper and then eat it?

    Say it! And enjoy it! I don't think you've ever said anything you have to worry about.

    (see my last comment over on Stinking Billy's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my friends know about my blog but none of them really log on and check it out, that I know of.

    Well, last week I learned my one friend checks it out but doesn't comment.

    Then there is another friend that I hope doesn't because I complained about her recently...maybe why she doesn't talk to me anymore.

    My family reads it and it stresses me out at times because I'm afraid I might offend someone (not my MIL..I don't care if she is offended).

    My co-workers...they are the ones I'd be embarrassed to have read it. But oh well...if they do, they do.

    It is a place for me to hone my writing skills and just to vent ... none of their business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did he think of it? Pray tell!

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that your friends are on to your blog, the word will be out as to whether or not you're a lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's scary how omniscient Google is. You can run but you can't hide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aims, you're right of course. I may just work a little harder to ensure the spelling is correct from now on though. (I mean, these people know I'm an English graduate. Oops - and now so do you...)

    J's Mommy, you know I think you might be surprised. Personally I can't bear to be a 'lurker' - I'm far too opinionated...

    Who knows, Mya? The jury's still out as he's away right now - and of course has said he may never read it, to spare my blushes. But, whilst women are said to be more curious than men, it's my experience that men hate not to know - so something tells me that he'll check in sooner or later...

    EPM - what, you haven't worked out the answer to that one already? (Turns away to wipe her nose on her sleever...)

    Iota, I know, I was naive to even think that I could. Oh well, you live and learn. If I ever start another blog it will have to be about life as an eskimo in Alaska, or some equally far-flung destination. Like Nebraska, maybe. GASP! You actually live in Fulham, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the mistake of telling certain people about my blog and now I can't complain about them.

    Oh well. The main reason I started the blog was to document my life and those cute things the kids do. The ones I forget within a day if I don't jot them down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know how you kept it a secret for so long, I wouldve told him...cant help myself. Mind you I havent yet, but even tho i filter my IP address I see that someone living very close to me is visiting my site...mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ped - what, you remember them for a whole DAY?

    Hi Screamish, thanks for the visit. And those tracking engines are addictive, aren't they? It's amazing to be able to click on a map and see people from a different country - or even continent - taking a look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always feel there is an air of mystery if you remain anonymous! People build up a picture of you and your life, I am just about to post pictures of a recent wedding we were at so bang goes my anonimity (wish I had spell check right now)

    From the mouth of babes, I now have an image of you in my head. LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Husband has always known but friends? NEVER, shudder. Although one let slip that he reads husband's which shocked us both because it's then not going to take much rubbing of brain cells for friend to guess from comments that I am me, and oh, GOD, a world too hideous to contemplate of all my real friends reading it and lurking and sniggering at my uppityness and laughing behind my back and never leaving comments so I DON'T KNOW they've been and aaargh. How do site meters work, says desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi J this is Mrs H (domestic engineer extrodinaire) am quite frankly teed off that you kept this a secret - it is fantastic. You made me laugh and I totally get it. Ofcourse I do not have the same issues as I am a employed housewife hence my title, domestic engineer, so do not cook or clean etc. but still in principle I got it. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. for all those wondering potty is a lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SLTW: hello - and did that picture of me in your head feature me in a dressing gown and blinking owlishly without my contacts? Because of course if it did you clearly have me totally wrong...

    Hi Milla, I know, I know, I know. Don't panic. Click on the site meter button at the bottom of my sidebar, and whilst it will take you through to my records, it will also give you the chance to set up your own. Not sure if it's the best one out there but it works for me...

    Mrs H aka Domestic Engineer - thankyou. Again. Both for the compliment and saying I am a lady... When are you going to start up your own blog, btw?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh dear ... i sympathise. the day aunty dee finds out, i'm in trouble. but don't change your style now please!

    ReplyDelete
  16. potty mummy darling, I always think blogging anonymity is a bit like superman putting on glasses so nobody can recognise him; I can never quite beleive it's plausible that it could work for very long, and it seems your quick dash into the phonebox in front of your husband has shown this to be the case, sigh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Grit, no changes planned I promise...

    And Rilly, you're right. I was getting bored with wearing my pants over my trousers anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  18. your conversation with boy no.1 really made me laugh - what goes through their little minds?! i used to get that with the children at school... i remember a 4 year old saw me drinking a cup of tea in the classroom and said to me 'what are you drinking?' I said 'tea'. and he said 'but my mummy said that tea was for grown-ups'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Elsie - that's the thing with little children - they see through our disguise and spot we're just pretending with this grown-up thing...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...