Sunday 8 November 2009

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

Boy #1 has decided I am not a 'fashion girl'. Apparently this is because I don't have hair down to 'here' (indicates mid-thigh), don't drive a 'fashion car' (I think we've established this already), and don't own 'fashion bags and shoes'. Bearing in mind I was sitting at the breakfast table this morning, unshowered, still in my dressing gown and looking - shall we say - not my best, when we had this conversation, I have to say that his decision on this matter was not one I could challenge.

It still stinks, though...


Let's change the subject, shall we? This week's British Mummy Blogger of the Week has been blogging for nearly 7 years, but I only came across her blog when she recently joined the British Mummy Bloggers ning, and it stopped me in my tracks. So many of us - myself included - blog about surface stuff. The really personal issues, the nuts and bolts of our emotions, stay hidden as we seek to make sense of our lives in a humorous way. One of the reasons I started blogging was that I figured if I could make what was going on in my day-to-day existence funny, then it would all seem somehow more worthwhile. I've moved on from that now - blogging is so many other things too - but there are still some subjects that are off-limits, that I would never have the guts to expose.

Everyday Stranger doesn't do that. Her posts are heart-rending, soul-searching, funny, and above all honest, and once you start reading you may find yourself - like me - unable to stop before you reach the bottom of the page.

To check out the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too).

7 comments:

  1. Great pick, I'm officially hooked! What a wonderful style of writing she has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truely extraordinary... currently fighting back the tears after reading her silverbox section. Thank you for introducing her to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies - am so glad that you agree with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice.
    The writing (she) is intense and searingly honest. Quite a reality check since, as you say, so much of the mummy blogging world is about finding the lightness and humour in our everyday lives.

    Thanks for the intro
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, she's good, scary. I've been on and off this blog over time - for some reason I never bookmark it and can never find it again - so, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...