Sunday 22 November 2009

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

Despite having had a glass or two of wine last night I find I'm still capable of sitting down to write a blog post, especially when the alternative is sitting with the Boys and watching 'Crocodile Hunter' on DVD for the third - or is it the fourth - time this week. Well, it was that or Beverly Hills Chihuaha again and frankly, that I couldn't face...

But I'm well aware that having to deal with Steve Irwin-mad children whilst fighting the effects of a little over-indulgence is not really a problem. It's nothing, for example, when compared to the issues faced by the families of very sick children. When my two boys were baptised we asked that friends and family, rather than buying yet another silver cup, spoon or money box to sit on the shelf growing gradually duller until a visiting grandmother can stand it no longer and polishes them up, should instead donate money to Great Ormond Street Hospital.

So whilst I never seem to get round to watching The X Factor, I was delighted to learn - via Brits in Bosnia - that their Christmas single is in support of the hospital (click here to watch a video all about it. But have your tissues handy). Not only are Sony donating all profits from sales of this single, but if you click on this link it will show you which retailers are also donating a portion of theirs too.

Now, onto the British Mummy Blogger of the Week. Vegemite Vix writes of herself:

'A keen fan of Vegemite, and all things Kiwi, Vegemite Vix moved her three kids, dog, cat and all her earthly belongings from Auckland New Zealand to a small town in the English countryside. This is her blog about how to survive and thrive as an expat a long way from home.'

It's always interesting to look in the someone else's mirror when it's held up to things that we take for granted about life in the UK - like our education system, as she posted about here. And her notes on how Facebook has changed the way that teenagers deal with the end of 'True Love' showed - me, at least - how our communication-rich society can be something of a double-edged sword...

To check out the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too).

9 comments:

  1. Someone was up early this morning.

    I like your blog and yourwriting style. Good work.

    Check out my blog for a dad's perspective - an Irish dad's at that - on parenting and potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, here's the address:

    http://www.anirishdaddy.blogspot.com/

    AID

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's good - great pick. And... what ARE you doing up so early? Or was that 'so late'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you hear the squeals of delight from there? I'm so thrilled! Thank you so much for naming me the blogger of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ID, thanks for the comment - and to you and Sparx; don't always believe the time on the post and the real time are the same thing. (I wrote this post around 11am this morning. I am not rock and roll enough to be writing at 3am, I can tell you!)

    Vix, my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick, thanks.

    I LOVED Beverly Hills Chihuaha, BTW. I'm going to get one when go back to California!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Modern, it's not that I don't like it - more that it's the Boys' default choice of dvd (and there's only so much chihuaha a woman can take)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beverly Hills Chihuaha? Really? I am still trying to imagine the pitch meeting for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn, I actually think that whatever we could imagine couldn't possibly be as bizarre as the reality...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...