Tuesday 24 November 2009

It's time to draw the line

Just because I don't write about woman's place in society and the issues surrounding that, it doesn't mean that it isn't important to me. It is, as I'm sure it is to most people. I may choose to interpret feminist teachings in a different way to those who think that because I've chosen to spend some time at home with my children, I've ignored the call to arms, but that doesn't make my belief that society should be one of equal opportunity for all, regardless of sex, race, creed or colour any less valid or any less heartfelt.

And I hope that the way Husband and I are raising our sons reflects this, not least in the way that they will in the future view and treat women.

When I read Noble Savage's post on what happened to her at the Reclaim The Night March in Central London, I was horrified - although given the number of damaged individuals out there, I suppose I should not have been surprised. And when I read the follow-up post, about the vigil to be held in Trafalgar Square tomorrow night (Wednesday 25th November), even though I can't be there, I promised to post about it.

She's right. This shit has got to stop.

7 comments:

  1. It was appalling wasn't it? Unfortunately there's a certain type of human that we'll never reach and so we just have to hope that their actions don't get any worse than that. Which was bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pathetic bastard! What is wrong with these people that they cannot see the world as existing for anything other than their own twisted gratification?

    Our boys were brought up to respect all people regardless of their race, creed, age or gender and it would never occurred to us to have done any different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its awful - as the mother of girls I worry that society is actually getting less accepting of women not more, is this low level continuous violence against women actually a sign that men cannot cope with our increasing visibility and success ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so so agree with you, the one thing I have always said is I want my boys to grow up and be gentlemen, it might be an oldfashioned word, but I want them to respect, value and cherrish woman as they father does me. I do believe that respect is something that is declining across the spectrum in these times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, and thanks for directing me to Noble Savage's post. It's unbelievable that men still think it's OK to act like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your support, and for writing about the subject. It is obviously something near and dear to me. I'm just so fed up with the violence and the way some people think they have the rights to everyone else. It's infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to imagine the sort of man who would do such a thing and I guess there are a lot of them out there who would feel provoked and threatened and do this. I suppose they would take such a protest very personally, even if they had never assaulted a woman before. Somehow they feel accused. It really speaks of the retarded point of view these men have of women in general and how lacking they are in sympathy and understanding. I pity their wives and girlfriends and mothers.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...