Wednesday 11 November 2009

Today's definition of 'Embarrassment'..

...is answering the door to an electrician you have booked to come round and sort out the lighting in your bathroom when you know that right now the air in that bathroom is a little... fragrant.


Today's definition of 'Prevarication'...

...is the number of electrical based faults in other rooms that you can find to take a look at and discuss at length with the electrician on your way to said bathroom.


Today's definition of 'Relief'...

...is realising when you finally reach the bathroom that your diversionary tactics have paid off.


Today's definition of 'Paranoia'...

...is wondering whether in fact you're kidding yourself and if your relief is misplaced, because perhaps it is just that your nose is accustomed to this brand of 'perfume'.


Today's definition of 'Maturity'...

... is deciding not to worry about it and to use the whole experience as blog fodder.


UPDATE


Today's definition of 'Mortification'...

... is the horror you feel at just how filthy the top of your shower-head is revealed to be, now that you can see it in the mended light.


Apologies to the sensitive flowers amongst us...

17 comments:

  1. It's always the way isn't it. I had a man come round to read the gas meter yesterday and the kitchen floor was decorated with two wet nappies that I hadn't got around to putting in the bin yet...

    Although, you know that striking a match is meant to be the best way of, um, clearing the air in a stinky bathroom? You could have even claimed it was because the light wasn't working...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect he knows what bathrooms are for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A filthy loo just as bad. Guess a plumber would be used to it, but an electrician? Oh well, make sure you give him biscuits as well as a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always blame the children. I do. Even when they are nowhere in sight.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  5. NVG, you're clearly a faster thinker than me.

    Iota, you're right of course. Poor man...

    A&U, well I suppose at least I can hold my head up high that it was clean. And I offered him tea and biscuits - strangely enough he wasn't interested.

    LCM, if only our flat was big enough to have been hiding them. Sadly - not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have said; "It's this way, follow the smell." To which electrician would have thought I was joking, however I bet the job would have been done as fast as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have air fresheners all over for that very reason!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SPD, and there it is again. The difference between blokes and ladies...

    EPM - presumably for your family, rather than you, to use? Just like me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're not alone, I've just put the "big light" on in the utitlity room and caught sight of the tonnes of dust building up on top of my drier

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always keep a can of air freshener in the loo for precisely that reason....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post has just brought back every embarrassing moment thats ever happend to me - there are too many to list!!!

    My remedie bar of galaxy and a hot choc and laugh about it. Afterall if your anything like me theres bound to me a hundred more.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nunhead Mum - not a nice moment, is it? (Note to self - get a better cleaner. What? You thought I would do it myself...?)

    Modern, me too but sometimes they smell even worse.

    Kate, thanks for commenting and I'm with you on the condition we can make it Green & Black's Butterscotch...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, I would have been mortified too. This stuff always happens to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! I once had to get a plumber to unblock a sani flow toilet after my brother and his girlfriend had stayed.
    The plumber's parting words? 'you do know it's only tissue paper that can go down there don't you'...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me feel better about my erm perfume...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...