Thursday 29 April 2010

Right, let's try that again...

OK. Now, where was I? Oh yes, about to write a post entitled 'Unbelievable' when I got distracted by a kerfuffle over at Wife in the North's blog...

So, here's what I meant to write yesterday.

We're getting a new boiler fitted in our London flat. I had agreed with the supplier that this would take place on Thursday, so you can imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail from someone in their office telling me that the fitting would happen on Wednesday. Since we're not there, any change of date means alerting various friends and relations that timings for on-site approval of the work etc might alter, so I called to check...

Me: "Ah, hello Ms X. I'm calling about the boiler your team are due to fit at 275 Bolthole Lanes, London. I thought it was due to happen on Thursday 29th April, but in your confirmation e-mail it states that it's happening on the 28th. Can you just confirm when it's actually taking place?

Ms X (sighing heavily): "Right. Let's see. What was the address, again? (I repeat it, wondering where the 'Hello Mrs PM, nice to hear from you blah blah blah). Oh yes. It's due to start on Thursday 29th April."

Me: "Not the 28th, then?"

Ms X (barely contained weariness): "No. The 29th."

Me: "Right, I just wanted to check because it says in your e-mail - from you - that it's happening on the 28th. So you're sure?"

Ms X: "Absolutely."

I leave a space for her to insert 'and I'm sorry if my mail caused any confusion'. Nothing.

Me: "The 29th."

Ms X: "Yes. (Clearly thinking; who is this woman, and why is she wasting my time?) The 29th."

Me: ???? (Subtext: and my apology is....?)

Ms X: ..........( Subtext: ...about as likely to arrive as a snowball is to make it through hell)

Me: "OK. Well, thanks for clearing that up then..."

Ms X: "You're very welcome..."

Ends.


I think I may be turning into my father.


For more general wittering, click on over to Powder Room Graffiti where I'm ranting about snooze buttons, blackberries, metro-sexuals, laddered tights and disappearing moisturiser - all in the same post.

I know. I'm just gifted, I guess...

3 comments:

  1. Remember when you are not there it will always be three times more difficult, it's as if they have a sixth sense or something to be extra obtus. And yes, you are very talented! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I would have had to send the e-mail back pointing out her error in HUGE capital letters. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started doing that - I am turning into my Mother.... oh help

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...