Tuesday 6 April 2010

Time moves on...
















A good friend of mine has just had a baby. Now, in the UK, we tend to hang back a bit when there's been a new arrival to a family; not for us (unless it's a very close relative) the Dutch way of dashing over there as soon as possible to a pre-arranged scheduled slot ('we can fit you in between 2pm and 2.30pm next Tuesday'), to eat special new baby treats and present gifts to the new arrival.

No, we go the opposite way in Blighty, waiting until the dust has settled before popping by, sometimes being so reticent about it that we can wait 6 weeks to present ourselves and pay our respects.

So it should be no big deal for me that I'm unlikely to meet this little bundle of cuddles before July, on our next trip back to London. Hell, if I'm honest about it, with the crazy schedules that we all follow these days, we probably only managed to meet 3 or 4 times a year when I was living there, so really this delay is just more of the same.

But it's things like this - the arrival of a new baby and the subsequent photo arriving in my e-mail inbox - that make the 1500 miles between here and there seem such a very long way...

Congratulations, F. I am thinking of you and your gorgeous-looking boy and will drink a bellini in honour of both of you.... x


And if you're wondering what the picture is of, it's a traditional treat the Dutch serve to celebrate the arrival of a new baby; a crispbread spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar covered aniseed (blue and white for a boy, pink and white for a girl). Apparently, the aniseed is good for stimulating milk production in nursing mothers. It's just a lucky coincidence that it tastes good, too...

6 comments:

  1. I think you're missing home. Glad the weather is working out for you, that's a big plus. I would have thought the dutch would give blue tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aniseed is of the devil. Belgians have chocolate when a new baby arrives. We rule, they suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother-in-law's 50th, my niece's 18th, my husband's cousin's wedding - all within the same month, happening just now. I hear you.

    I've just been reading about the Dutch baby-welcoming custom at xbox4nappyrash. He had his own particular version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm homesick, too. Hang in there xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you manage to go home at regular intervals PM. Try treating the stay in Moscow as an elongated holiday. That might help you to deal with the changes more easily.

    That's a lovely idea to welcome a new baby, I love aniseed and those yummy Dutch crackers. Shame it's far too late for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Modern, they do give tulips - the beschout met muisjes (which literally translates as 'biscuits with little mice') are what you get in return...

    Mwa, I'm include to agree with you on this point...

    Iota, it's hard isn't it? And I will check that blog out!

    Mothership, thanks. x

    Aha Sharon - but it's the visitors who get offered this. So you never know - you could still strike it lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...