Friday 16 July 2010

Ghosts in the 'machine'.

This morning, in my parent's dining room, I was watching the happenings on twitter (an addictive personality? Me?), and Boy #1 was indulging in a spot of Nintendo-love. Every now and again he would mutter something obscure like 'pink road', 'blue road' or 'I've got protection' (What?).

Now, I have to say that I have been eating slightly richer food here than I would normally do. My mother is a fantastic cook, and not only would it be foolish in the extreme to turn down her culinary offerings, it's more than my life as a beloved daughter is worth. So (have you guessed where I'm going with this?) my stomach is a little more 'volatile' than it would normally be. A little 'noisier'. A little - oh, alright. I'm more explosive than usual.

I've been trying not to share this too much with my children, but what the hell, a fart's a fart at the end of the day and I'm not going to leave the room for one; it's not like they do that for me, after all...

So, there we were, Nintendo and laptop keys singing along in happy unison when suddenly there was an unidentified (to Boy #1, at any rate) noise. A sort of a squeal, if I could call it that. Now, I knew where it came from. But Boy #1 - safely on the other side of the room - didn't.

He looked at me in surprise. "What was that?" "What was what?" (I know - I'm a charlatan). "That - that noise?" "I don't know..."

"Oh. Right. Do you think maybe it was... a ghost?"

Dear Internet, forgive me. My answer? "Gosh. Well, of course there are no such things really, but yes, I suppose it could have been..."

Will I burn in hell, do you think?


9 comments:

  1. Redeemed - absolutely.

    Go in peace my child. Mwah.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you burn in hell we will all know what the fuel will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't picture you doing that somehow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou LCM. I would ask to kiss your ring, but...

    GJ, I have NO idea what you're talking about (but natural energies are so much more eco-friendly, don't you agree?)

    EPM, well obviously it's not me but my evil twin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) No need to spoil the rosy picture your son has of you.

    Mine gets annoyed with me if I don't apologise straightaway. He's a prude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally justified.

    Though in our house we are now comfortable with 'bum sounds' and ask the person concerned if they would like time to read the potty book. I'm doing potty training, you see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to my daughter, ghosts appear in our house on an hourly basis. And she enjoys announcing their arrival. Kids eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL You deserve a gold star for this one!

    My nieces will never learn about ghosts as it seems they've inherited the family trait of snickering after such "indiscretions".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you won't. . .I always tell my son it was the dog.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...