Wednesday 16 March 2011

Shock news; I have escapist tendencies....

I can't believe it, but I'm going to start yet another post with a link to yet another site... This is totally unplanned on my part; sometimes things just work out that way...

One of my favourite bloggers, Shannon over at everydaystranger has just written a post about her secret celebrity boyfriends. You know; those guys that you see on film or on tv and who you know - just KNOW - that if they met you in real life would fall madly, passionately in love with you. She's even done us the honour of sharing who hers are with her readers, and I have to say that I 'get' pretty much all of them. Except, perhaps the first 3 (a 70 year old man, Shannon? Really?) but since she hadn't even reached her teens when they were her heart's desire, I think I can let them slide.

I have to admit to a few secret celebrity boyfriends myself, over the years. (Actually, let's call them SCB's, for short; I've got soup on and about 50 articles to write so this needs to be quick...). And, like Shannon, many of my crushes are less about the flesh and blood actors / celebrities than the parts that they play (although I would be prepared to make an exception for John Cusack, it has to be said).

In fact, I've even been known to have the odd pash about characters in books - before they were made into films. (Strider or Legolas in 'The Lord of the Rings', anyone? Bernie Gunther in 'Berlin Noir'? Peter, in 'Prince Caspian'? Prince Caspian in 'The Dawn Treader'? God, the list is endless...). So I suppose that since I long-ago removed any requirement that my SCB's take corporeal form, I shouldn't be surprised by the latest one to pop up in my day-dreams.

My new SCB is - to put it frankly - a bit of a nerd. He has girl hair (in fact, Boy #1 recently remarked that his hairstyle was a lot like mine - except I'm betting he doesn't have to blow-dry his hair upside down and use wax to get that fly-away flicky look). He's not the strongest, the fastest runner in the village or the quickest on the draw. But he's smart, funny, and has integrity, commitment, loyalty, passion (as evinced by his love-from-afar for the unknowing and ungrateful Astrid who, if I'm honest, I'm not that keen on), and bravery and intelligence by the bucket-load. Oh, and he's good with his hands, never something to be undervalued in my humble opinion...

Hiccup, if we met in real life (and I were - rather upsettingly - 25 years younger), Astrid would be toast.






I have GOT to stop watching the Boys' movies...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on - you know you want to...