Sunday 17 July 2011

Boys & Pocket Handkerchiefs...

... are two mutually exclusive concepts, it seems. Mothers of sons, do you recognise this picture? Please tell me yes and that mine is not the only washing machine constantly running...


Sniff. Sniff.

"Boy #2, come here and blow your nose please."

Sniff. Sniff.

"Please, Boy #2. Come here and blow. Your. Nose."

Sniff. Sniff.

"Boy #2..."

"I don't need a tissue."

Sniff. Sniff.

"Boy #2. Please. Come and blow your nose!"

Sniff. Sniff.

Oh well. Why would you want a tissue, indeed, when you have a shirt sleeve / beloved blankie/ arm of a sofa / mother wearing a long cardigan close to hand?

7 comments:

  1. This does not improve significantly until they get interested in girls, and even then I think their habits are questionable when in private. Just keep that washing machine running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine can be persuaded to blow his nose respectably if I rugby tackle him and sit on him until it's done. Otherwise he uses my sleeve. Why not his sleeve I ask him frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just have endless SNIFFING and hankie- rage from husband for whom sniffing is up there with, well, the most heinous crimes imaginable. Like whistling. I meanwhile have an unhealthily comfort blanket-esque relationship w my hankies regardless of physical need. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I definitely recognise.... Mine also love to wipe sticky fingers all over their clothes during meals - despite being given paper napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our boy is two and constantly jabbing exploratory fingers up his hooter. I have low hopes for his future nasal habits as his father is a shocking pick-n-wipe merchant (never, ever inspect the underside of his desk)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleeves? Mine just use me to blow their noses on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the must-have items I ever owned in my motherhood kit was what we called a 'snot sucker' - a rubber bulb with a short tube emminating from it. You could use it to extract bio-hazardous waste from your toddler's nose. Very satisfying. My fingers still twitch towards that shelf in the bathroom cabinet sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...