Monday 17 October 2011

Can the Real Potty Mummy please stand up?

I never thought I would be 'that' mum; the one who stands on the edge of a football pitch in all weather, shouting support at her children. Well, let's face; sporting prowess does not run in my family, and whilst Husband's is a little more athletic than mine, the signs from the first few years of the Boys' lives were that sports were not going to be that high on their list of priorities.

However.

Saturday morning found me standing on the edge of a football pitch somewhere in Moscow, shouting encouragement to Boy #1, and bringing on the team snacks and drinks as required. Which in itself is something of a shocker, but when you factor in the weather - a measly +2degC and snowing, for goodness' sake - I do rather wonder what the hell is happening to me...

Admittedly, the snow was mixed in with intermittent rain and sleet, for light relief, but it is still only the middle of October...


9 comments:

  1. Remind me to invite you to minis rugby training on a Sunday morning with the troops (and yours can join in) next time you are back in Blighty.

    We can both shout from the sideline and even join in with the coaching. Much more civilised than football, but still just as bloody cold!

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel. I was the least sporty schoolgirl ever, but now find myself increasingly in the role of 'soccer mom' - and am even beginning to quite enjoy standing on the sidelines cheering Littleboy 1 on. (Mind you, here they always cancel soccer when the weather as bad, and as soon as winter comes, it will be held in a gym. That helps).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said on Twitter, you'll be wearing mom jeans and driving a minivan next. Oh wait - I drive one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Respect to the scary sidelines PM! ps - what are mommy jeans? I need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unbelievable thing here is there are these rules for what parents can yell out! Encourage ment for team not a person, no coaching calls etc...And we have Silent Sat where you're not allowed to talk or call out. On in California!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there. And ten years ago I would never have predicted that I now watch football on the telly. You have been warned. Ten years on, now that our weekly duty of freezing on the sidelines has stopped and I have my weekends back, I find that I quite miss it, particularly the chat with the other mums.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love faffing around on the sidelines. But tend to be the mother gossiping and therefore missing the scoring of goal by son rather than the parent shouting encouraging remarks from the touchline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LCM, thanks - but I'm only coming if I can bring my hip flask...

    NVG, we really ARE leading parallel lives, you know that?

    EPM, you drive a minivan, but please - not the mum jeans?

    KM, you don't want to know. Suffice it to say they are high-waisted with VERY strong stitching to keep those tummies in.

    ALW - do they also police the sidelines to keep over-enthusiastic dads off the pitch? Because actually....

    GPM, really? Without coercion? Good on you (I mean, I watch rugby, but football - I'm some way off that so far)

    PWN, you know, that sounds kind of familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you'd fit right in here (if it weren't for the table manners...)

    You must never ever bother to learn the offside rule. You would be a traitor to your sex. And if you already do know and understand it, you must pretend not to. Womanly solidarity.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...