Monday 11 March 2013

Starters for ten...

I'm having one of those days where ideas for blog posts - here and elsewhere - are coming thick and fast.  

Should I write about how living with less is more (based on a prompt from a piece in The New York Times Sunday review)*?  

Should I write about protecting my son from an overenthusiastic music teacher who loves to teach but doesn't appear to understand the limits a 7 year old has after a full day at school?  

Perhaps I should touch on how the musical instruments my sons play are as much a reflection of of my concerns that they be equipped to have something to bring to the the party (quite literally) in the future, rather than of interest on the Boys' parts in playing those specific instruments?

Or, should I write about parenting expat children and how the guilt we parents feel at imposing transient lifestyles on our kids is usually far in excess of that we should feel?

Decisions, decisions...


I think it's a fair assumption that I will instead write about something really important - like chocolate - but at least my intentions are good.


*Thankyou Amanda Surbey for the link on facebook to the original piece

5 comments:

  1. Go for that last one. Interested to read. Or chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sit down and write them all now, then take the rest of the week off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of them sound good. Over enthusiastic music teachers I can empathise with. Mind you, the son that has that one is doing very well, whereas the son who has a laid back teacher still can't read music after a year and a half...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the music teacher russian?

    I only ask because when I first started work I decided to try and keep up my Russian by getting someone to come and talk to me for a couple of hours once a week.

    I had a full time job so literally that couple of hours was all I wanted but he just didn't get that and within six weeks I was being loaded up with seven or eight hours of homework in between times.

    I gave up... My Russian's awful now.

    I'm now wondering if it's a national character trait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a file that I post all of my ideas in and refer to during the dry periods, so I recommend you save them all just in case. But I'd really like to read about the guilt. I'm not experiencing it, but it's probably because my kids are so much older. I certainly don't think my parents ever had any - or, if they did, they figured the unique life experiences I was having balanced out the downside of our rootless lifestyle. Of course, parenting was much different back then. It wasn't such a high-stakes activity...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...