Monday 8 December 2014

Wins and Losses to-date this festive season

Win:  Finding you can still fit into not one but two (count 'em, TWO) of your long slinky dresses so you have a choice for an up-coming festive black tie event.

Loss:  spotting slightly more lumps and bumps marring the slinkiness than you are happy with.

Win:  locating suitable  'streamlining' underwear at the back of your knicker drawer to smooth out the lumps and bumps.

Loss:  deciding to celebrate new svelte appearance with a square or two of chocolate.

Win:  It's dark chocolate, mind.  So, essentially, good for you.

Loss:  In fact, since I'm being so good to myself, why not celebrate with half a pound of cheese as well?  And whilst I'm at it, how about a piece of that banana bread I made for the boys yesterday?  The one with the chocolate chips in?  Well, they probably won't eat it - it's far too healthy - and it would be a shame to waste it...

................................

Win:  Heading off to a friends' house and finding the perfect box of Ferrero Rocher to give them, as a joke.  Your plan is to hand it over to said friend - who just happens to be an Ambassador - and say with a knowing smile 'Monsieur.  With these Ferrero Rocher we are really spoiling you.'  As plans go, it's foolproof.  It's brilliant, with a capital B.

Loss:  It turns out that no-one other than the Brits ever saw that advert.  This person is not a Brit, so you have to explain what on earth you talking about and end up feeling like a complete Brit, with a capital T,

Win: It does, however, give you the opportunity to put the original ad onto your blog so that should a similar situation ever happen in the future (not that you ever expect to be invited back to an Ambassador's residence again, after that performance) you can find it much more easily than you were able to this time around...

(Always the silver lining, me.  Always the silver lining).


6 comments:

  1. What? The dress had a silver lining?


    Hang on. *Puts down glass of wine* I'm going to have to re-read this post, a bit more carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my dresses have a silver lining Iota. Don't yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you did that. I SO would have laughed if I'd been there. And I bet your accent was BRILLIANT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have laughed that!* :) I think they had the same ad back in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup been there on the discovery that the rest of the world didn't have the delights of that advert, yes WAY too late to appear cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that you posted the Ferrero Rocher ad! Every time I buy Ferrero Rocher I think of this ad and think how generous i am buying such an expensive gift. I've tried to describe the ad to my Canadian husband, and he's just watched it now. You are so right you have to be British to get this!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...