Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Photo Gallery 229: One Day in May

This post is for Week 229 of Tara Cain's Photo Gallery over at the Sticky Fingers blog.  Today's title is 'One Day in May'.

If you have any association with Russia you will know that May is all about Victory Day.  This year, since it's the 70 year anniversary of the end of World War II (or, as it's known here, The Great Patriotic War), the authorities are pulling out all the stops.  The main roads into town are flanked by flags, all municipal vehicles are sporting them, and right-thinking patriotic citizens have their cars and/or collars adorned by black and orange ribbons.

(More of why on my next post.  I originally put the explanations in here but it overwhelmed the photos, so decided my thoughts on this celebration deserve their own airing...)

In the meantime, here some photos of what Moscow has looked like / will look like on Saturday, pulled from my files and which I've taken over the last 5 years here.

2010 - our first year as family in Russia
















2012 - the year I discovered the superjet graveyard just down the road (now replaced by a shopping centre.  I preferred it before, frankly).




























2013 -  we couldn't go to the celebrations, so petrol-head Boy #2 was forced to watch the planes from the back lot.




2014 - the wild dog who'd lost her way stole the show for me...















Sticky Fingers Photo Gallery

8 comments:

  1. Wow - amazing photos. So interesting to see May in a different culture. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collection of photos #thegallery

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back lot? The back lot? Now you won't be saying that kind of thing when you're back in jolly England, will you?


    Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really fascinating and interesting to see and read about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, Iota. I need to drop the American vocabulary and restart the British English - it could be a bumpy ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly is, Libby. I know I'll miss the different perspective when we've moved.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...